Friday, March 6, 2009

Less

I have the best job on the planet. I work with children I adore, adults whom I respect and care deeply about, volunteers who are devoted to the same ideals I am and when I go to the Religious Education Council meetings, one of my very favorite two-year-olds in the world hangs out with me. Yesterday the little one insisted I couldn't braid her hair. Then life would have been perfect. Since I have only boys when a little girls let's me braid her hair I am in a pure and blissful heaven.

Everywhere, we're minimizing. Making do with less. Loving living in less.

Yesterday we agreed to a budget for RE that adds $7,000 in funding for staff over what we had last year. And our budget still comes in under what we asked for last year. We cut. Hard. But we put our money where our values are. Where our beliefs are. In people.

This is happening in our family too. Today we made homemade pizza with dough from scratch, using only ingredients we already had in our house. It was f a b u l o u s.

Then we watched Religilous. And hung out. People before things.

The food issue, the disordered eating has just settled--I am thinking that I might be crazy later, I might go over the edge again. Of course. But somehow the deep, painful, unreal stuff has lifted and the life that used to roil and rage underneath is calm, and kind of pale pink and it's floated up and joined the regular life. Wow.

Tomorrow we go spend the day at a Habitat build for our congregation, and my good friend is going to be at the build, too! Oh fun. Fun fun fun.

Simple. Good. Less.

1 comment:

Anna Banana said...

Less is More. Thanks for your inspiration. Have a great day, Kari.