Monday, March 9, 2009

Bad Day

Maybe it was the diet soda I drank yesterday. Or maybe it was the snow that fell and looked like a movie set with snow dumping from big overhead bins with fans blowing it around. Or maybe it was just life.

I had a bad day. From morning coffee to climbing into bed at noon and dreaming awful dreams about my husband leaving me and "end of days" inspired epic trauma, to hours of cooking a "meat pie" I couldn't even eat because I don't actually eat meat, it was just a bad day.



Sometimes I think about my grandmother who struggled her whole life with depression, how did she even make herself get out of bed? I have seasons of darkness, but not a lifetime. Poor woman. She had electro shock therapy and whatever they could try to do with drugs for her "nerves". I wonder what would have happened for her if she'd lived a few generations later than she did.

It's OK. We'll call it a day, and end with a wicked hot bath and a little silly TV all piled in the big bed. The kids' fighting makes me cringe but I like them close anyway.

And with Scarlett O'Hara inspired optimism, I'll fall asleep and know that after all, tomorrow is another day.


(just have to watch from 7mn.....)

1 comment:

Kristina said...

Oh Kari! I am so sorry to hear it, and sorry I wasn't at church to give you a hug and tell you what a blessing you are in my life (because on bad days, fan clubs can come in especially handy). I hope that last night's wind blew out the cobwebs, and that today will seem easier. I am at home with a sick girl (although she might be on the mend, fingers crossed) so if you're in the area and need of a cup of tea or strong coffee, just come on by! (I've also got curry cauliflower soup with an apple cider reduction....made with chicken stock so not truly vegetarian but along with some bread a good lunch....)