Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Five Questions, no answers

Speed blogging during a little lunch break......

I am finding that I do not work well in the midst of grief. I miss my dog. I would like one of those jobs with "personal time" off! Not that I couldn't take it right now from other folk's point of view, just that it seems impossible with the launch of winter classes and all that needs to happen. Maybe it's good to have this good work to do, and just work a little slower with a heavy heart. When do you stop expecting to see that sweet dog face at every turn? Ever?

Yesterday was Oprah's big launch on the "Best Life Series". I found myself nodding through the whole show. Yep, I was once almost cocky, too, thinking that I had the whole thing figured out. Years of having most of the weight finally off was a sign, right? I knew what to do. Nope. Not me, or Oprah. The show also seemed to fit right in with the first chapter in Geneen Roth's "When Food is Love". Food is always there. It's reliable. It never ever shows up late, or lets you down or leaves. And the result is always the same. The real way out is to care more for yourself than you care for the food. To learn to rely on yourself. To trust yourself.

I also finished "The Memory Keeper's Daughter" last night. Same message there, no one can complete you, you have to do that one yourself. Happiness? Yep, only you. Only me.

And there was homework for the Oprah show. Five questions to answer:

1. What are you really hungry for?

2. Why are you overweight?

3. Why have you been unable to maintain the weightloss in the past?

4. What in your life is not working?

5. Why do you want to lose weight?

Bob Greene, Oprah's trainer, said that if number five's answer has anything to do with finally being happy that you are doomed. I can give that one an "amen". Doomed. You either never get there, or you get there and discover that it didn't work.

That's a big homework assignment. I hope I get extra credit for posting it to my blog. (smile)

No comments: