Saturday, October 13, 2007

The Sacred in Costco--Christmas 2006

Sometimes when I'm in the middle of the grunt-crud of running a family, I wonder...really? Come on, is this really what it's all about? OK, granted, if I lived, oh even 70 years ago, most of my life would be taken up with the CARING for my family. Now, I care for my family, but I'm not making them clothes or feeding chickens so they'll have eggs. I'm going to Costco which takes an hour and might just suck the soul out of Jesus or the Buddha (who was really just a rich prince with a mission). The loving and caring that happens for your family, for your children is different now. And it's not as easy to see how it's real and full in their lives. This is why so many white women in their 40s are on anti-depressants. This is women's work. This is sacred work. When children are raised with love and held in a precious embrace, it's sacred. And it's always women that do the work. OK, there are a couple of sainted men that can do it, but they can write their own blog. If a powerful woman goes and does amazing things in the world, like running a country or curing disease, there is another woman who is doing the sacred work of raising her children. At Christmas, I do as my ancestor women did before me. I work, I cook, I laugh with my children and listen to my children. It is the most important work anyone can ever do. And sometimes, sometimes, it includes going to Costco.

No comments: