Saturday, October 13, 2007

The funniest thing

I came home tonight after a long day of single parenting and being the religious education professional and the soccer taxi and the school volunteer to the funniest thing ever. Today was one of those days. You just shake your head at the "to do" list from hell and decide the only things you'll get done are the bleeding, broken things. Ever walked into an ER with a bleeding, screaming child? I've never seen such speed! So I'm on the lost homework patrol, and the carpool detail, and the driving instructor role. All good, right? Even had the hour-and-a-half at the coffee shop with the work/homework/parental care shift. Super good. In fact, there was even the trek through Costco (anyone else feel like they need to bathe in holy water after that?) and the emergence with the potential for a well balanced breakfast, lunch AND dinner for a week or more.
So, I went off to my church-lady meeting. I went to the wrong house first which clearly had the nicest pot smoking guys in town telling me which house I was really looking for. I had to leave my kids with thier own dinner to make. No biggie, right? We have food in the house. Like $500 worth of food! Their dad is on his two-weeks-away-working-every-month-trip, so they're really on their own. But I've seen them all cook. They're almost 16 and 13 and 11. Come on, they can fend off hunger for a while, right? Gotta be.
Well, fine. I come home. All homework is successfully completed. All the kids are brilliant and would never let that grade validation slide. That's all good. The dinner dishes are in the sink, even some water has been kinda sloshed over them. Good, that's good. But the Costco run today was late in the day. I didn't have time between the school run and the soccer run to put away anything but the stuff that would totally rot. So the kitchen is full of everything else. I look down and there on the floor is the huge bag of hot dog buns. It's carefully twisted closed and secured with a clothes pin. Hot dogs for dinner. With buns. Gotta keep them fresh. Close it up and LEAVE IT ON THE FLOOR!
Oh god, I'm still laughing.
It's beautiful, really it is.
My friend who found out that her cancer is back, and there's nothing anyone can do, and she will never have these crazy days with kids, would be proud of me. I really did just smile. I love my kids, I love Anne, I wish she could raise kids and watch them carefully close up the hotdog buns and leave them right there on the floor. She can't, but I can.
And I can smile, just smile. It is a blessed life.

No comments: