Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Adolescent Gorillas

It's been a turmoil-hurricane in my life this week. My husband's gone to his new job and this is how life will be now. I've got a whole extra piece of life that has added a huge pile of busy days and work and a load of emotional baggage from 20 years-ago to deal with. And I live with adolescent boys.

When I was pregnant with those same adolescent boys a decade and a half ago give or take a few years, I came to a realization. Mother nature has designed pregnancy well. That last month of being pregnant is so uncomfortable and inconvenient and awful, frankly, that you will do anything to be done being pregnant. Like say--give birth.

I think maybe adolescence is the same in some ways. The last few years of it becomes so intolerable that you will do anything to be done with it. Like say--let your son move away and go to college.

It's not really that bad, but my three sons are like these teenaged gorillas:



And it is getting old. My oldest son will likely move out after next year. So things are as they should be. He can go show his teeth to other young men out in the world and decide who is the strongest or the smartest or who has the most earning potential.

I am aware that I need to find some ways to take care of myself even more just now, and the time has evaporated.

Prioritize. Organize.

And be kind and forgiving with the imperfections. I can always count on the imperfections.

No comments: